Capital Campaign FAQ's
Why is NSEA doing a capital campaign?
For 23 years NSEA sacrificed on an ideal office location and instead refined its restoration and education technique. That's usually how organizations prove their worth and NSEA was no different in that regard.
However, that all changed when NSEA's lease at its old location came to an end.
With an excellent reputation, a strong business model and the commitment to continue improving salmon habitat for generations to come, it became clear to the board and the senior staff that NSEA needed a permanent location that could serve as a home-base for its work throughout Whatcom County.
Why do you need land?
In order to have the space to grow 15,000 native plants every year, store hundreds of cubic yards of mulch, 300 shovels, tractors, logs for in-stream restoration and other machinery we knew we needed space. In the past, we'd dealt with working from multiple locations and let us tell you - that is terribly inefficient. Thus, we worked to locate a property where everything could be co-located. And we found just the right spot at 3057 East Bakerview Road in Bellingham, WA.
WHAT IS THE FUNDRAISING GOAL?
HOW MUCH MONEY HAS BEEN RAISED?
- Over $1,095,075 (91% of goal)
FROM HOW MANY GIFTS?
- 256 (representing individuals, businesses and foundations)
WHAT WILL THE FUNDS BUY?
- A 6.3 acre property with usable outbuildings
- All property renovations that are required by Whatcom County
- All necessary property upgrades to create a highly effective work place
WHERE IS THE PROPERTY LOCATED?
- 3057 East Bakerview Road in Whatcom County near Bellingham, WA
WHO SOLD NSEA THE PROPERTY?
Todd and Allison Jones, co-owners of the Fourth Corner Nursery, sold us the property for a very fair price. In addition, they provided generous terms while we were leasing the property by giving us the time to raise enough money for the purchase price. Thank you Todd and Allison!
WHAT HAVE OUR donors ALLOWED NSEA TO DO SO FAR?
- NSEA now owns the property free-and-clear! We purchased it in July of 2015.
- All of the required projects related to our Conditional Use Permit are complete.
WHAT PROJECTS REMAIN?
We need to raise an additional $105,000 to build a 1,600 sqft. building to support NSEA's program team and provide an indoor classroom and meeting location.
WHEN DO WE PLAN TO REACH OUR GOAL?
- June 30th, 2016